Extension to existing network completed eight months late
Passenger services on Phase Two of the Nottingham Express Transit (NET) began on Tuesday 25 August.
The two new lines run for 17.5km and serve 28 stops, extending the existing route from Hucknall and Phoenix Park through Nottingham city centre southwards on to Clifton and Chilwell. It is predicted that 23 million passengers a year will use the expanded network.
Construction work on the Phase Two extensions, which cost £570 million, was led by a consortium of Taylor Woodrow and Alstom. The lines had originally been scheduled to open in December 2014, but a series of problems encountered during the construction process, chiefly concerning utility diversions, have delayed the project.
Steve Lowe, Chief Executive of Tramlink Nottingham, said: ‘Whilst not without its challenges, it has been a hugely significant project for the city, involving the completion of a number of major new structures. We set out to create a world-class tram network for Nottingham and all our consortium partners are proud to have been working together to ensure we achieve that aim.’
Transport Minister Claire Perry said: ‘Record numbers of passengers are using trams across the UK and Nottingham NET has proved a popular and accessible travel option. The Department for Transport funding of up to £371 million for this major extension shows our commitment to providing Britain’s cities with Transport networks fit for the 21st century.’
NET Marketing Manager Jamie Swift added: ‘We carried over eight million passengers last year and we expect this to more than double with the opening of the new lines that will serve key locations such as the Queen’s Medical Centre and ng2 Business Park.’